So aren’t we all a little happier with this nice weather, epic sun shine and the fact that it’s finally summer .
Let’s be honest, we’re all a little happier because patio season is here and it’s finally appropriate weather to drink sangria. I know I’m not the only one who counts down for Sangria…
Unfortunately this isn’t a sangria post, I do however wish it was – so I’ll make a note to get working on that recipe.
Another highlight of good weather, is being able to bust out the BBQ. I can’t tell you how much I use the BBQ over the summer; it’s always convenient (unless it rains, because mine is not covered), you can literally cook everything on a grill and you get to be outside! Personally it doesn’t get better. At work, I’m in a hot kitchen and don’t get to be outside or even see much sunlight. So on my days off or before/after work, I’ll try to either eat a meal or actually cook outside, I find it so uplifting and energizing. Plus, here in Toronto we are blessed with only 2 -3 promising months of decent weather…..so I’d like to be outside as much as possible.
Summer grilling is clearly off and running over here and today I’m sharing a delicious chicken recipe that is easy enough to make any night of the week and it will appeal to anyone, even the pickiest of eaters!
I paired this chicken with grilled apricots, like I mentioned above: you can literally grill anything! I love grilling fruit: peaches, nectarines, pineapple, mango, grapefruit – you name it, it heightens any simple dish. Plus grilling fruit caramelizes the sugar, which makes it seem like such a treat.
In this recipe, I’m featuring Sir Kensingtons new Avocado Mayo that is the perfect addition to any chicken marinade. I appreciate how clean the ingredients are therefor it has a place in my kitchen.
Summer Grilled Chicken with Apricots
Yields 2 servings
For the Chicken:
½ cup Sir Kensington’s Avocado Mayo
Juice of 1 lemon
Zest of 1 lemon
1 Tbsp fresh thyme, finely chopped
1 Tbsp garlic powder
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 Tbsp Sir Kensington’s Dijon mustard
½ tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper
4 chicken thighs, skin on/bone in
For the Apricots:
5 apricots, halved and pitted
salt and pepper
- For the chicken: In a medium bowl, whisk all the marinade ingredients together.
- Place chicken in a container and toss in the marinade. Seal with a lid and let marinade overnight (preferably) in the refrigerator.
- For the Apricots: When you’re ready to grill, you can start with the apricots.
- Toss them with a little olive oil, pinch of salt and black pepper.
- Heat your BBQ to medium heat, if you go by temperature – I let mine get to around 350 degrees.
- Place the apricots, cut side down and grill for 3 minutes. Then rotate and grill for another 2, so you are left with cross lines. You don’t want over cook them, you still want the apricots to have some bite.
- Time for the chicken, pull the chicken out of the fridge at least 15 minutes prior to grilling.
- Place your chicken thighs on the hot grill, skin side down for 6 minutes then flip over for another 6 minutes.
- Assembly: The chicken and apricots are a great addition to a weeknight meal, so I just kept the rest rather simple. Toss some arugula and raddish slices in lemon juice and place the chicken ad grilled apricots over top.
I hope everyone kicks off summer in some way or another, even if it’s just sitting on a patio with some sangria…..and this chicken:)